Saturday, June 26, 2010

yummy quinoa salad

I had tried this salad at a girls week end a few months ago and have wanted the recipe ever since! When I went to make it I realized I was missing most of the ingredients and if you know me well enough you know I never run to the grocery store for recipe ingredients. I was pleasantly surprised when all my substitutions tasted just as good. I have the original recipe with my substitutions in brackets.
1/4 cup peanut oil (olive oil)
1/4 tsp tumeric (curry powder)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne (didn't have)
1 1/2 cups quinoa
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock (chicken stock) or water
3 tbsp orange juice (apple juice)
1 tsp brown sugar
1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, finely chopped (green onion)
1 large red pepper seeded and chopped (green pepper)
1/3 cup dates pitted and chopped (didn't have)
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp minced cilantro (didn't have)
2 tbsp chopped peanuts (pistachios)

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add spices and quinoa. Cook until fragrant, about 2 min, being careful not to burn. Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low,cover, and cook until all liquid is absorbed about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Transfer quinoa to a large serving bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 3 tbsp oil, juice, brown sugar and salt to taste. Stir to blend and set aside.
To the quinoa, add chickpeas, onion,bell pepper, dates, raisins, cilantro and nuts toss with dressing to combine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails