Wednesday, August 3, 2011

papa's peach tree

My grandpa passed away a month ago today. I felt it was a long anticipated passing and am grateful that his suffering is over. This is a first for me, grieving the loss of a close family member. A few weeks ago I was looking out my kitchen window at our new peach tree. I was reminded of a phone conversation with my Grandpa a few months ago on his eightieth birthday. Dale had called him to wish him happy birthday and asked him if he had any advice on planting a peach tree. My grandpa had always taken forever to tell a story or give advice. Being sick it was no different but he still sounded like himself on the phone. He told us to make sure the tree would get lots of sun. We planted the tree in the sunniest part of the yard. I love that every time I look out the kitchen window I am reminded of my grandpa. He was that special.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

sending you love my friend.

Mary said...

That's a beautiful story, and you will always cherish that tree!

Misha said...

Oh Jen, I didn't know it happened. I am sorry. So sorry. Sending love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails