Friday, July 18, 2008

all by myself...

Dale has gone on a fishing trip til Sunday and left me home with the kids (cue violins). All day I have promised Aiden a bike ride if he behaves. What is up with five year old boys and listening??? This evening we go into the garage to get our bikes and I notice my bike is still dangling from the ceiling. Dale knew we would be bike riding this week end but had forgotten to get mine down. I had a moment of "forget it, this will be way too hard" but then I decided Aiden needed to see what a strong independent woman his Mom really is ( no snickering). I got a ladder and attempted to remove the bike off the hooks ( my bike is super heavy, I've had it since high school). I finally get the bike off the hooks but then the handlebars shift and I'm going to drop it on my car so I threw it. Thankfully missing both children and vehicle. Inspecting the bike I realize I've broken the front brakes but amazingly I was able to fix it. Next step attach the bike trailer. I am starting to feel pretty good about this. We set off and halfway down the street I notice Amelia seems very close to me. I stop and the bike trailer crashes into my bike, I didn't attach it properly. I use all my strength to get the trailer on tightly and we start up a hill. I have been dreading this part of the bike ride all day and now I'm worried Amelia could disconnect and fly backwards down the hill. We miraculously make it to the top without too much effort. Aiden is becoming such a strong bike rider, needing no help up hills (not that I could've helped him). But Dale's a bit of a show off and can tow the trailer and lean over and push Aiden up the hill, arrgh!
We have a great bike ride and I'm feeling like a pretty sporty Mom and I look down and my handlebars are completely crooked from the fall and I just want to get home with out anybody seeing me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

A for effort! Maybe now you can justify a new bike (read: nice, light bike). It's no fair to have the clunky old bike AND have to haul the trailer.
Erin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails