Sunday, July 13, 2008

white water rafting



Yesterday, Dale and I along with Tracy and Martin tackled the white water rapids of the Chilliwack River. We had decided last Christmas instead of exchanging gifts we would go and do something fun without the kids. We had such a crazy time! The weather was perfect and just as we were starting to feel comfortable maneuvering the rapids one of the boats flipped over. After we fished someone out of the water our boat tipped over. I saw Tracy fall out as we hit a rock pinning our boat against it. Dale, myself, our guide and another guy were left hanging onto the side of our sideways raft as the water pushed against the rock making it impossible to move ourselves or the raft. I later found out that rock is called the 'dishwasher' because you just keep tumbling and tumbling getting stuck in the current. You know the saying "that minute felt like an eternity" well 5 minutes feels even longer. One of the guides hiked up and threw as a rope that missed the first time but eventually we were pulled off the rock. The worst part of the whole thing is I never saw Tracy came back up to the surface so the whole time we were stuck I was freaking out that she hadn't been located. Everyone pulled off to the side of the river and two people needed to get off the trip because they had been hurt.
We started off again and 20 minutes later another raft was pulled under a tree and flipped. I was starting to feel like we were on the 'bad karma cruise" and should call it a day. Apparently the guides felt the same way and we ran out of time with all our 'rescues' so we disembarked a little over halfway down the rafting trip and bussed back to the camp. Everyone besides me loved it and wants to do it again. I doubt I will.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'll go in your place, I love rafting! Even the threat of flipping. We got stuck up in Lytton and our boat was completely sideways (with half the crew in the water, the rest of us 5 feet in the air) when we finally righted out boat, we all Hi-5'ed with our oars (the guide thought we were nuts).
Sorry to hear it was so rough though, I've never done a trip where there were so many flips... it would tire me out to have to stop all the time to rescue people.

Sara Blair said...

Wow! Fun times...i think?!?! lol Glad to hear you all survived!

Sara Blair said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you guys all geared up and the mountain in the reflection on the car!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails