Tuesday, August 12, 2008

it started so innocently...



Last Thursday (our anniversary) Dale came home from work and told me to go shopping for a new couch for the family room. I needed a little convincing but after dinner I headed out all by myself. Nine years later and still rockin my world, Dale! I found a great leather sectional that we have since ordered. Now here comes the tricky part. While I was at Macy's ordering the couch Dale went and bought a pocket door for the laundry room/family room. We have two doors that open into each other and it's a real pain. Sunday, Dale was excited to start his project. They started to demo the wall (I didn't realize you have to rip down the wall to put these types of doors in {isn't it funny how male and female brains work?}) Uh,oh there was a whole bunch of plumbing in the wall. Dale's an electrician not a plumber. So he decided to open up the the wall on the other side of the door. There was a bunch of electrical but that's his domain. Unfortunately, it was way more electrical that he originally thought. So now we have to decide between the lesser of two evils. If we do the elctrical side he has to tear open the ceiling (which I think should get me new halogen lighting) or do the plumbing which he has to cut open the sub floor (and then we could put a slate floor in the laundry room). And another thing, opening up the plumbing wall there is also a built in medicine cabinet in that wall so if that's removed I get new wainscotting and paint color in the powder room. Are you still following me? Either way this is turning into a much bigger project than we anticipated. And I want all the drywall work done before the couch gets here in 3 weeks.
* funny story - last night Dale and I were sitting on the old couch in the family room and he asked if I could help him take the medicine cabinet out of the wall ( leaving a 12x20 hole in the wall). I looked at him strangely and said " because you want to watch people go to the bathroom in there?" He hadn't thought of that.

5 comments:

Erin said...

That's funny! The medicine cabinet part, not the disaster in drywall. What about installing the pocket door to open into the other wall (behind the TV) is that an option, because YIKES this is getting crazy!
Erin

Jen said...

the wall behind the tv is where the electrical is!

rebecca said...

Holly crap, good luck with this. It sounds like you will get something nice out of it though!

Lyndie said...

Hee hee... It's starting to sound like my life....

"What do you think about getting area rug in the front room?"

Next thing I know, seven layers of old wallpaper have been removed to reveal that we have no drywall on our walls....guess where it goes from there??? YIKES!!! GOOD LUCK.

Heather said...

At least Dale will FINISH it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails