Saturday, June 6, 2009

grilled pizza


Last night I tried out making pizza on the bbq. I love crispy thin crust pizza and have heard this is the best way to cook it barring having your very own own pizza oven. I started by making my own pizza dough but pre made dough would be even easier.
Here's the recipe I use:
1 pkg of active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp honey
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
olive oil cooking spray
pour yeast into large bowl. combine warm water and honey. pour over yeast. let sit 5-10 minutes. add olive oil and salt to yeast mixture. add 2 cups flour and mix with wooden spoon, dough will be sticky but starting to come away from sides of bowl. sprinkle flour on counter, place dough on counter, knead 1/2 cup flour into dough. spray bowl with olive oil, place dough in bowl, wrap with plastic wrap and leave for an hour until doubled. after dough has risen, punch down down and divide in to to equal sized balls. using a rolling pin roll out to 12 inch circles, (or go to Trader Joe's and buy refrigerated pizza dough)
Next turn on bbq to highest setting and let preheat. reduce heat to med high heat.
combine 2 minced garlic cloves and 2 tbsp olive oil, brush grill with oil mixture, place dough grill, watch it like a hawk, when it's lightly browned and crispy, flip over (I used my fingers but 2 spatulas would work too) brush browned pizza crust with oil mixture, tom sauce and your favorite toppings (use thin small pieces b/c it's only on the grill for a few minutes. keep an eye on the crust rotating it around the grill (the center part of the bbq was very hot and I needed to rotate the pizza so it wouldn't burn) when cheese is melted and crust it browned, remove and enjoy. I burnt the second pizza but the first pizza was delicious. The picture I took was the second pizza which I burnt while going to get my camera!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails