Wednesday, January 7, 2009

cornbread crust chicken pot pie

I try to only shop at Costco once a month. If I go more frequently I find my grocery bill is way higher at the end of the month. I made a list last year of items that are cheaper to buy at Costco or are definitely more convenient to buy in bulk. Did you know Costco's top seller is toilet paper? And for good reason, who wants to run out of that? Anyway back to my Costco theories. I always buy bananas,baby carrots (anyone noticed they are slimy lately?), lettuce, broccoli salad, eggs,milk,beer,peanut butter,jelly, and bread when I'm there. I also try to pick up a rotisserie chicken because they are so easy for dinner. And they lowered the price, it had crept up to 6 something but yesterday it was $4.99 again. I like that. The chicken is an easy dinner and then I will use the chicken for another meal and then I will make soup with the (I hate to use this term) carcass. Very economical!
Tonight I tried a new recipe from Oprah's website:
Chicken Pot Pie with Cornbread Crust
Recipe created by Cristina Ferrare


This is a feel-good meal! It's traditional without a catch but very satisfying—not to mention easy and fast.


Ingredients:

Filling:


1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 medium Onion , chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups chopped Roasted Chicken
1/2 cup frozen sweet petite peas
1 potato , diced and boiled
1 1/2 cup chopped, cooked carrots
1/2 tsp. salt
Cracked pepper
Dash of Tabasco® sauce
Crust:


3/4 cup white or yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. canola oil
To make filling: Preheat the oven to 400°. Spray a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil and unsalted butter together. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 or 5 minutes. Add in flour until blended. Slowly stir in 2 cups of heated chicken stock, whisking well. Cook mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Stir in chicken, peas, potato, carrots, salt, pepper and Tabasco®. Pour into a 2-quart ovenproof casserole dish coated with cooking spray and spread mixture evenly.

To make crust: In a bowl, stir cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Stir milk, egg and canola oil until well combined. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Spoon the batter evenly on the filling. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes.
* I didn't add the potato

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails