Friday, February 1, 2008

cute gift ideas for kids

Yesterday I was perusing the toy aisles trying to find a gift for my nephew I began to think about some fun homemade gift ideas. Fortunately for my nephew and unfortunately for his parents I did find a very loud, large plastic toy to fill any 3 year old's idea of a proper birthday present. Here are a few ideas I've found since:

to go along with yesterday's pudding paints I found a recipe for jello play dough;
Jello Play Dough
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tbsp cream of tartar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
1 three oz package of jello (any flavor)
combine ingredients and cook over medium heat until it thickens and pulls away from the sides of pot and becomes dull. * this burns easily so don't put over too high of heat and keep stirring. Mold and knead until cool enough to touch. Store in a closed plastic bag. For a fun gift idea store in a cool looking airtight container ( one of those glass jar with attatched lids) and tie a fun plastic cookie cutter or two to the jar with cute ribbon. I'm thinking green jello and a dinosaur cookie cutter or pink jello and a butterfly cutter. I know Michael's carries a giant box of plastic cookie cutters and then you would have everythingg you needed on hand!

My next idea is something I though up a few years ago but have never tried!
Fort Building Kit
Buy a couple yards of inexpensive lightweight fabric ( the silky kind that is easy to tie up) girl or boy color themed
10 clothespins
* adding a wind up flashlight would make any kid happy!
and wrap it and present as a fort builder kit with cute instructions!

Fairy Door
I found these on Etsy and thought they would be the cutest things to make for all the little girls in my life! The one's I found were made out of wood but I think you could make a cute chipboard/cardboard variety. I think you definately need to improvise with what materials you could find but the idea is to place these in a little girls room along the baseboard and a fairy can come and go as they please!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails