Wednesday, February 13, 2008

washing the washing machine

It seems like one day I will put a load of laundry in the machine and notice how disgustingly dirty it is inside. I've heard about all the gross bacteria that lives inside washing machines but I don't think about it until I can see the "sludge". I've figured out a way to hopefully keep this from happening. Each time I open a new container of laundry detergent I will know it's time to clean the machine. Here's how I clean it (I have an old school top loading so I don't know if this works for the fancier models):
1) select the largest load and use the hottest setting
2) add 1 cup of bleach ( I love the smell of bleach)
3) let the machine fill and turn off for an hour (or 6 like I did yesterday)
4) turn the machine back on and let it run through the cycle
5) when the machine empties of water, scrub the plastic agitater and sides the machine with a scrub brush, wipe all the grooves with a wash cloth
6) run through one more cycle with no bleach and your washing machine will be fresh as a daisy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails