Friday, February 29, 2008

deceptively delicious part one


The other day at Costco I picked up the 2.5 pound bag of spinach. The bag is huge but my thinking is if I'm going to cook and puree food ahead of time it's going to be in big batches. This morning I steamed the spinach (without removing the stems like the book said) and pureed with my hand blender and it turned out just fine. Aiden was mildly curious to what I was doing and was a little grossed out by the green slime. I don't think he will be helping with these recipes if I want him to eat them. 2.5 pounds of spinach made 8- 1/2 cup freezer bags so I'm glad I went the Costco route. Otherwise too much work for a small amount of ingredient. It would be great if you had a group of " deceptively delicious" cooks that cooked and pureed one vegetable and then you swapped!
On the subject of Costco. The other day I felt mildly smug when my total came to $251 at the check out ( I have $250 goal). Then I remembered I had already made a Costco run this month. Our grocery bill seems to get higher each month. Everyone says Haggen's is expensive so I might try another grocery store and see if it makes a difference.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

I would so swap pureed veggies with you. I got the book at Christmas but have yet to make anything in it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails